Thursday, September 18, 2008

UnVibed

If you have not yet seen the current issue of Vibe Magazine, this is it to the left.

I'm not going to say that I'm suprised that they have semi-nudity on their cover. And I'm not even go as far as to say that I'm suprised that it is CIARA of all people that is bucket azz nekked on newstands nationwide!

What is suprising to me is this trend in entertainment that is encouraging artists to sell much more than their music.

How ironic that the title on the cover states "Stand Up! CIARA".. they certainly know how to use wordplay in order to get the readers attention..mission accomplished!




Now let's take a trip down memory lane to when KEYSHA COLE did something similar. She was on the cover of Vibe late last year topless with the title "American Beauty". Hmmm...


I'm not gonna lie. It is a nice photo of her. I'm sure even before the photoshop, she looked just as beautiful.


It's just funny how they portrayed Ms. COLE as this phenomenal woman, while CIARA is completely degraded to merely skin and bones.

Sex sells. We all know that. And both these Vibe covers hit shelves right before these ladies have albums due out, so of course I get the whole idea of creating 'news' (and I use that term loosely) for increased record sales! But who are the people marketing these artists? I know nobody put a gun to CIARA's head and said "Bytch take off your clothes and squat, NOW!" These kinds of images can either make or break someones career. I mean, there are plently of 'models' (and I use that very loosely) that would bend over backwards for the opportunity to be on the cover of Vibe bucket azz nekked! That would be their dream! ha! (no comment there)...but they do not have an album coming out..and they probably don't have the kind of fanbase and diverse demographic outreach as both CIARA & KEYSHA COLE do.


I say, leave the nudity to the snoozies, and sell your music on your talent. I mean, that is why you get paid, isn't it? Selling sex appeal is one thing. Selling yourself...is another. And that line seems to be crossed by some of my favorite artists more times that I would like to count.

I still got love for CiCi and KeyKey tho.. but it's because I like their music..and quite frankly, the nudity is irrelivant when it comes to that.


~Queen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

1ssstttttt!!
yes sex sells and I think they both look great on these covers. But heres the reality, these women are both admired so much that they didnt have to snap a nude photo to sell the magazine.

Madam Z said...

In my opinion, it all boils down to this: Women are still regarded as just so much meat. No matter how talented and/or smart they may be, what really matters is their tits and ass. I'm sick of that, but I don't see any signs of it changing.

P.S. Thanks for commenting on my blog, Queen! I love what you said, and I am happy that I discovered "Queendom!"

Dope Fiend said...

Not feeling the nekidness, it is so demeaning.
And Kesh likes to be nekkid, I figured it out in that I Should Have Cheated video when shes all in her see thru top and panty with water sprinkling all over her!lol

And that Ciara girl...she talking bout keeping her goodies in the jar with her bra hanging out her "clothing"

I am not surprised, artists these days are embracing thise whole sex sells thing, it's terrible, bu very effective. Because no media attention is bad media attention as long as its on you...you've got them.

Blu Jewel said...

Cosigning all the previous comments. I'm not feeling it and think it's awful the way women are selling themselves short.

love!

Don said...

That was probably Vibe's best cover ever. Of course I'm feeling Keyshia Cole like that.